Monday, February 6, 2012

Build Relationships

I've been very lucky to have very strong relationships in my life. I have friends that I've known for over 20 years and that's important to help keep me grounded.  I love new things and I love to meet new people.  However, sometimes the existing friends are the ones that remind you where you came from, the stuggles you've had and the obstacles that you've overcome.  New friends are great and it's important to continue to grow outside your comfort zone as well. 

How does all of this tie into my financial perspective?  For me, everything is viewed as an expense of some sort or level of accomplishment.  Money doesn't mean much to me other how much I have represents how well I've done thus far in my life.  That being said, then it's obvious I've hit a couple bumps.  But I need to remember that everyone hits bumps and the most successful people have said they are successful because they didn't give up.  That means, no matter how bad things got, they kept pursuing their goals.  Seems pretty crazy when you're caught up in the middle of a rough spot. 

But I've heard on a few occassions successful people say that you become more successful when you surround yourself with the kind of people you want to be like.  I really believe this.  Obviously, it's a very simple concept we learn even in grade school.  My mom always said you don't hang out with girls that have a bad reputation unless you want one yourself.  Because your reputation and who you hang out with is the type of message that is sent to others. 

I want to be successful, more then have all the money.  I truly want to feel like I'm achieving the goals I put in place and accomplishing positive outcomes.  So, one way to do this is to be around successful people because they motivate one another but also share networks of successful people.  But it's more then just being around these types of people.  It's also about building a relationship with these people where there is trust and confidence.  The stronger the relationships, the more help offered when you are stuggling.  It's also very important that it's reciprocated.  If others are going to go out on a limb for you, you better be willing to do the same for others.  It doesn't have to be the same people necessary either.  It's the 'pay it forward' concept because the more you're willing to do for others, the more you see in return.  Many people learn this in their faith as well.

So another goal for me is to build better, longer relationships in 2012.  I hope you appreciate my post and leave me feedback.  Until we chat again!

No comments:

Post a Comment